This Class is full, please call us to get on the waiting list for our next set of classes!
Have you ever wondered how your family will know what to do when your estate plan must be implemented? Now there’s an answer…
JOHN D. LAUGHTON, A PROFESSIONAL LAW CORPORATION’S
TRUSTEE AND POWER OF ATTORNEY SCHOOL
We often see that the people who clients name to take care of their affairs after death or incapacitation are in the dark about what they are supposed to do when the time comes. This can lead to anxiety, confusion, and costly mistakes later.
Join us with your children, Trustees and POA Agents at this one of a kind school. This is serious education for those who are concerned about this important topic. Graduates will learn when to act, what to do, and how to do it. Open only to John D. Laughton, A Professional Law Corporation clients, their family, and their Trustees/Agents.
The John D. Laughton, A Professional Law Corporation Trustee and Power of Attorney School is a two-session training program created for law firm clients and those they name to serve as their fiduciaries (Trustee, Property Power of Attorney Agent, Executor, and Health Care Power of Attorney Agent) in the event of death or incapacitation. The School will be conducted like an academic course, with a curriculum, written materials, review quizzes after each topic, and question and answer sessions. Real life hypothetical case studies will be used to apply the concepts that are learned.
The School is inspired by common concerns expressed by law firm clients that their family be prepared and know what to do when the time comes. Existing law firm clients may find the course a valuable refresher and an opportunity to re-examine past decisions or adopt new planning techniques.
Attendance at the first class is a pre-requisite to attending the second class. The School is free of charge to John D. Laughton, A Professional Law Corporation clients; their family and guests; and those named as Trustees, Executors, or Power of Attorney Agents. There will be a $500.00 charge to others. Seating will be limited to allow for a more effective program, so other guests may be limited.
A summary of the agenda of topics to be covered includes:
- Primer on basic legal concepts and estate planning
- Universal goals of estate planning
- The tools of an estate plan
- How they work
- Who is the fiduciary and what are their responsibilities
- When each tool is to be used and who can use the tool
- Common mistakes and misconceptions
- How to use the tools of the estate plan when a person becomes incapacitated
- When a person who makes a Living Trust dies
- The legal process of settling a trust estate when the trustmaker dies
- Trusts that do not terminate when the trustmaker dies
- What you can do now to make the process of estate settlement later more efficient
- Practical tips on being a Trustee or POA Agent
- Special topic: planning for nursing care costs
Each session builds on the prior session, so attendance at the first class is required for attendance at the second class. Handout materials will be presented. Please, no recordings.
Light refreshments and beverages served.